~ 10 Tips for Writing a Great CoLlege Scholarship Essay

 10 Tips for Writing Great Supplemental Essays for College Admissions -  International College Counselors

Before I offer you 10 Tips, I will give you three very strong suggestions:

a)      Spell CollEge correctly. C-o-l-l-e-g-e.

b)      Be sure to identify a college that interests you and write at least a little about that college. And, spell the name of that college or university correctly. Identifying several colleges that interest you is fine also.

c)      Three or four sentences, or less, is probably much too short.

           

 

  1. For this scholarship, EFFORT is what matters most – effort in writing this essay, effort in school, and, perhaps, effort at home or in your community. I suggest you use some words that clearly identify your EFFORT. You might even use the word "effort." If it is suggested that you might do a little extra research, I suggest you do it if you want to improve your chances of winning. Including additional schoolwork or other information that supports your message is always a good idea.

"Fortunately, I found out that I wouldn't have to go half way across the world to go to school for Monster Truck Driving. I did some research on the Internet and found the Terminator III Monster Truck Driving School, which would meet my need. I would study truck driving, mechanical engine repair and computers so I could fix my truck and know the parts I need."

 

  1. It is about WRITING and ENTERTAINMENT. If the reader of your essay has fun while reading your essay, that's good! Your chances of winning improve! Make sure your essay is fun to read. It is very hard to make an essay "fun to read" if you don't have FUN writing it. Have fun writing your essay!

As I fall asleep, I don't count sheep. I count elephants. I dream of being a zookeeper. I love animals more than chocolate ice cream with a cherry on top! Animals in a zoo can't survive without zoo keepers. I want to keep animals in the zoo healthy and strong.

 

  1. Your SPELLING, your GRAMMAR, your PUNCTUATION need to be great, not just good. A few mistakes will significantly decrease your chances of winning the scholarship. Proof your work. Proof it again. Get others to proof it. Perfect spelling, grammar, and punctuation show EFFORT!

"I wolde like to be a gym teacher becase I like to run and play gams. Have to do thing Im bast to do and I wolde go to a gym and to callege."

 

  1. Be sure to ANSWER EACH OF THE QUESTIONS. If the people sponsoring this essay didn't really want to read your answer to a question, they would not ask it. Be sure to answer the question WHY. That often takes some thought – maybe even some discussion with someone else. Sometimes, answering why can be the hardest part. Be sure to identify a college that interests you. Be sure to identify a college major or specific courses you want to study in college to help you prepare for your career.

"Everyday I dance for an hour. Dancing relaxes me, and it cools me down when I am mad. The college I want to go to is Juilliard School. The top majors are dance, theater, and music, and I want to take dance. It is going to be hard to get into. I have made the honor roll in 3rd and 4th grade by getting all A's and B's. I take dancing very seriously. I love to dance. I work hard to be the best student I can be."

 

  1. To improve your chances of winning, include DETAILS. Details show that you really know what you are writing about, and they make your writing even more real. Details help you prove your point.

"When I grow up I would like to be an author. One idea I am working on is an Easter story about a king who does not believe in the Easter Bunny. The authors who have inspired me most for this are Jan Brett, Lynn Plourde, Mary Pope Osborne, and Laura Ingalls Wilder."

 

  1. There is no need to be fancy. True, honest, heartfelt, and YOU is better than any fancy word or idea. Simplicity and clarity can work very well. Sometimes, kids can do this better than adults!

"The career that interests me most is a game warden, because I like the outdoors and like animals. I don't like to see sick animals, I want to help them if I can. I don't like when people don't go by the laws, like when people use worms when they are supposed to use artificial lures, or when people catch over their limit of fish. This hurts the younger fisherman like me. I want to protect the wildlife. I want to go to college to learn to be a game warden."

 

  1. It is QUALITY, not quantity. Very well written and shorter is better than very long and boring and repetitive. Don't repeat yourself. You may need to restate something to wrap up your essay, but don't keep saying the same thing just to make your essay longer. Most scholarship essays (answering both questions) are about a page long. Much shorter than that may be getting too short and had better be very well written.

 

  1. DIFFERENT IS GOOD! Don't worry about being the only student to write an essay about a certain interest. A well-written essay about a true and different interest of yours is likely to be well received by the readers.

"Is that a procyon lotor over there? OK, let's see. It has grayish brown fur, a mask like face, a black ringed tail, and it's sleeping in a tree trunk. I know what that animal is. It's a . . . "

 

  1. A GREAT FIRST SENTENCE is a great idea – something fun, something that engages the reader right from the start, something that makes the reader WANT to read the essay. But, make sure the first sentence actually connects to the rest of the essay. The reader should want to get more information from the rest of the essay to clarify the first, fun, short, engaging sentence.

"Hand me the brush and chisel, I think I found something!"

 

  1. The LAST SENTENCE should lead the reader off the page, beyond the essay, and into the future. The last sentence should remind the reader of what he or she just read and then help the reader see how you will have a positive impact on HIS or HER or THEIR future. The last sentence really matters because it is the last thing the reader is likely to remember. You want to end on a high note and headed uphill!.

"I shouted out to the class, 'Pas de chat, glissade. Point your toes! Head up. Energy in your arms. Assemble. Assemble. Pirouette on count two. Waltz off stage on count eight.' Someday these steps will be in my own recital."

 

 

 

 

No comments