Costa Rica Is Calling My Name

Image result for Costa Rica Is Calling My Name

I haven't had a vacation in 20 years...really.  So when my gal pal came to me and started talking about wanting to take a vacation in Costa Rica, my ears began to perk up.  She told me that it was a vacation destination that few people think of and because of that it can be more pleasant and less populated by other tourists.

The Crazy girl is thinking of retiring there and buying property.  She asked me if I would consider doing that.  I told her that maybe we should just get a vacation under our belt and then we can think about moving there.  Quite frankly folks, the only date I have had in a while on a Saturday night is my 7-year old grandson, so it is safe to say that I need to get away.

Planning a vacation is something totally foreign to me.  I get dressed up for a trip to the grocery store so thinking about this is big, very big.  The Internet has cornered the market with online travel agencies but I really want to talk to a person and get the scoop.  I have heard of how people plan trips and when they arrive, their luxurious accommodations turn into a community bathtub in a tent and a port-a-potty.  I want to get the most for my dollar and avoid the pitfalls most tourists make when planning to get away.

I don't even have a passport and I have heard that it can take up to a year to get one.  So it is safe to say that I am planning a vacation in at least a year in advance.  I am a researcher and I like to get all the information in place before I make plans to pay for a trip.  Of course it is Sunday and no travel agency listed phonebook is open.

I went to the library yesterday and found books on Costa Rica and I am reading like a fiend.  The only travel guide they had for me to check out on Costa Rica was a 2003 edition. However, most of the restaurants and hotels have web addresses and toll free phone numbers, so I can contact them to get current information if I need to.

I decided to check into the different types of vacations you can plan.  I came up with Spa Resort vacations, wildlife and national parks, sport vacations, historical, shopping, nightlife, and my personal favorite, the art vacation.

I will write about these as I find out about them.  To begin with there are 7 areas to explore.  The most logical place to start is San Jose the capital of Costa Rica.  The other areas that follow are; the Northwest, Nicoya Peninsula, Quepos & Central Pacific, Osa Peninsula & Golfo Dulce, South Caribbean, and Tortuguero/North Caribbean.

The first thing I have to do is start saving money for a vacation and plan the vacation.  Then I have to get a passport.  Since 911 there have been many changes in international travel and now it can take up to a year to get your passport.  So I am getting started now.

No comments